Safety Management Specialist® (SMS®)
If you have exceptional safety knowledge based on years of experience in the field, the Safety Management Specialist (SMS) is the certification for you. The SMS brings recognition to safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) professionals with 10+ years of know-how and the management skills required for a business’ safe operation.
SMSs are experienced professionals with safety management skills which they apply on a full-time or part-time basis as part of their job duties. Some examples of an SMSs activities include defining and utilizing an organization’s safety management systems, risk management, incident investigation and emergency preparedness, maintaining current knowledge of safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) concepts, and identifying the business case for safety.
- Will work part-time or full-time in occupational health or safety with a minimum 35% of job tasks related to the management of safety related programs, processes, procedures, and/or personnel
- Will have 10 years of experience in occupational health or safety
- Must pass the SMS examination
- Maintenance of certification
- Annual renewal fee
- Recertification requirements