Certified Safety Professional® (CSP®)
The Certified Safety Professional (CSP) provides safety practitioners a path to greater recognition and career opportunities, offering a certification that demonstrates you have met the requirements for the gold standard of safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) credentials and have achieved the industry’s most-recognized SH&E certification.
A CSP candidate’s professional practice is typically spent implementing safety management systems, making worksite assessments to determine risks, assessing potential hazards and controls, evaluating risks and hazard control measures, investigating incidents, maintaining and evaluating incident and loss records, and preparing emergency response plans, among other possible duties. A CSP may also have environmental management system responsibilities, including managing SH&E programs that can cover up to 1,000 or more employees.
Safety responsibilities of this level are found in virtually every industry including petroleum exploration, production and refining, manufacturing, construction, healthcare, and insurance.
- Will have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree*
- Will have four (4) years of safety experience where safety is at least 50%, preventative, professional level with breadth and depth of safety duties
- Will have a BCSP Qualified Credential:
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP)**
- Graduate Safety Practitioner (GSP)
- Transitional Safety Practitioner (TSP)**
- Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®)
- Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH)**
- Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP)**
- Professional Certificate in Safety and Occupational Health, U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center (ACRC) (formerly “CP-12”)**
- Certified Safety Engineer (CSE), as administered by the State Administration of Work Safety (SAWS), People’s Republic of China (PRC)**
- Master in Occupational Safety and Health, International Training Centre of the International Labour Organization (ITC-ILO)**
- NEBOSH National or International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety**
- Professional Member of the Singapore Institution of Safety Officers (SISO)**
- Diploma/Certificate in Industrial Safety, as issued by the State Government Departments Boards of Technical Education, Government of India**
- Must pass the CSP examination
- Maintenance of certification
- Annual renewal fee
- Recertification requirements
Applicants must also disclose if they have been convicted of offenses or have had a professional license or credential suspended, revoked, or placed under probation. BCSP keeps this information confidential but may deny an application based on these matters.
*When applying for the CSP with a degree from a college outside the United States, that degree will be evaluated for U.S. equivalency. Details on the documentation required, requested during the application process, can be found online here.
**Note that all education requirements must be met when pursuing the CSP.