On July 31, 2021, the U.S. Secretary of Labor, Martin J. Walsh, appointed J.A. Rodriguez Jr., CSP, ASP, BCSP’s Chief Strategy Officer (CSO), to the prestigious 12-member National Advisory Committee on Occupational Safety and Health (NACOSH) as a management representative for a two-year term.
Rodriguez recently served as VPPPA’s Director-at-Large for seven years and as the organization’s member-elected Chairman of the Board for another two. Rodriguez has held the Certified Safety Professional® (CSP®) for over 13 years and has a strong belief in the connection between the development and improvement of safety professionals’ careers and the improvement of safety.
Members of NACOSH provide the Secretary and HHS Secretary substantive input on workplace safety and health issues. They formulate ideas on reducing worker deaths, injuries, and illnesses, and provide feedback on OSHA and HHS initiatives to improve worker safety and health.
The Secretary and HHS Secretary may consult with and seek advice and recommendations from NACOSH on Agency priorities, including:
- Leadership in the national dialogue on worker safety and health;
- Strong, fair, and effective enforcement of Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) standards;
- Expanded compliance assistance;
- Guidance and research, including research needs and priorities;
- Expanded partnerships and voluntary programs;
- Regulatory matters;
- and Other activities to help reduce work-related deaths, injuries, and illnesses.
The Secretary and HHS Secretary may also consult with and seek advice and recommendations from NACOSH on new areas and emerging issues involving occupational safety and health. NACOSH’s duties are solely advisory and consultative.
For more information on NACOSH, visit www.osha.gov/advisorycommittee/nacosh.