Information for Applicants with International Degrees

Meeting Minimum Educational Requirements for ASP and CSP Certifications

BCSP’s Associate Safety Professional® (ASP) and Certified Safety Professional® (CSP) certifications require holding a degree from an accredited college or university. Meeting the ASP or CSP’s other prerequisites does not exempt the applicant from the educational requirement. Academic degrees from outside the United States must be evaluated for US equivalency.

Candidates must meet all the following requirements when applying for the ASP and CSP certifications:

  1. Meet the experience requirement for the ASP certification, which is 1 year of safety experience where safety is at least 50% preventative, at a professional level of safety duties.
  2. Meet the experience requirement for the CSP certification, which is 4 years of safety experience where safety is at least 50% preventative, at a professional level of safety duties.

    The CSP also requires proof applicants hold any of the following BCSP approved credentials:

    • Associate Safety Professional® (ASP) ASP certification number 
    • Graduate Safety Practitioner® (GSP) GSP designation number 
    • Certified Industrial Hygienist® (CIH®) CIH certification number
    • Chartered Member of the Institution of Occupational Safety and Health (CMIOSH) CMIOSH membership number 
    • Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) CRSP certification number 
    • Professional Member of the Singapore Institution of Safety Officers (SISO) SISO membership number 
    • Member in the Institute of Safety Professionals of Nigeria (MISPN) Membership certificate 
    • NEBOSH National or International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety NEBOSH diploma Diploma in Industrial Safety from the Central Labour Institute in Mumbai and the Regional Labour Institutes in Chennai, Faridabad, Kanpur and Kolkata Diploma and Mark Sheet

  3. Both the ASP and CSP require applicants have the US equivalency of an associate degree in safety, health, or the environment, as described on their respective webpages, or a bachelor’s degree in any field. BCSP will accept a non-US 3-year bachelor degree from a recognized academic institution.

International Degree Evaluation

BCSP requires that all degrees from colleges and universities outside the United States be evaluated for US equivalency. You must have your degree evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES®). To complete the evaluation process, contact any one of the agencies listed on the NACES website,

How to Have Your Degree Evaluated by a NACES Member Agency

  1. Select a member agency from a current member listed on the NACES website;
    • Contact a NACES member for information on price, transcript submission rules, processing time, and other considerations that would help you determine which service is right for you.
  2.  Request the following type of evaluation: “general”, “basic”, or a “document by document”.
    • A “course by course” evaluation is not necessary. However, it is always best to confirm with the NACES member you choose to work with to determine which type of evaluation you should choose. 
  3. The price of service and documents required will vary depending on the NACES member you choose. The cost of your academic evaluation is not covered by the BCSP application fee. 
  4. You will be given instructions on what documents need to be sent and how to submit them. NACES members vary in their requirements. Some require original documents, some require only copies. Some NACES members require a copy of your transcript be sent in a sealed envelope from the university. Be sure you understand the document submission requirements from the NACES member you choose. 
  5.  You must request to have your official degree evaluation sent directly to BCSP. Make sure your evaluation contains the name that is on your government issued ID.  
  6. Your degree evaluation will be matched to your application once it arrives. The amount of time required for an evaluation varies by NACES member. They can provide you with an idea of their timeline.

Once your evaluation report confirms you meet the minimum academic requirement, you may submit your ASP or CSP application online. You will do this by logging in to My Profile and choosing the tab, “Apply for Certification”. When your application and academic evaluation is received by BCSP, they will be reviewed and you will be notified of your eligibility to sit for the examination.

8645 Guion Road, Indianapolis, IN 46268  |  P: +1 317-593-4800  |  F: +1 317-593-4400

Copyright © 2017 by Board of Certified Safety Professionals. Terms Of Use

Design, development and hosting by Accuraty Solutions, LLC